disappearing desktop icons - why?
From tine to time, I like to leave a cleanup or security-scan routine running and minimized (with
an icon in the task bar) while I go off and do something else.
The other day I started cCleaner (from Piriform) while I went off to lunch.
When I got back, several of my desktop icons were gone.
That time, figured that cCleaner was at fault.
The next day I went to lunch as usual, and left the PC turned on with nothing running.
When I got back, some icons were gone.
I have no real trouble rebuilding my desktop; this odd behavior, though, is something of a nuisance.
Has anybody here seen similar behavior? If so, did you remedy the problem? If so, how?
Keys to the Problem disappearing desktop icons - why?
Try rebuilding your icon cache:
1) Close all programs
2) Click Start, then type "CMD" (without the quotation marks) into the Search programs and files window
3) Next right click on the CMD program that is displayed in the list and select: Run as administrator
4) Navigate to: C:\Users\
(at the prompt enter: CD /d %userprofile%\AppData\Local now press the 'Enter' key)
5) Now delete the IconCache.db file as follows: DEL IconCache.db /ah and press the 'Enter' key.
6) Close the command window.
7) Reboot the computer.
J W Stuart: http://www.pagestart.com
- Open Internet Explorer.
- Go to "Tools > Internet Options > Advanced Tab".
- Uncheck "Enable third-party browser extensions".
- Click "Apply".
- Reboot your computer.
Recommended Method to Fix the Problem: disappearing desktop icons - why?:
How to Fix disappearing desktop icons - why? with SmartPCFixer?
1. Download SmartPCFixer . Install it on your computer. Click Scan, and it will perform a scan for your computer. The errors will be shown in the scan result.
2. After the scan is done, you can see the errors and problems need to be repaired. Click Fix All.
3. The Repair part is finished, the speed of your computer will be much higher than before and the errors have been removed. You can also use other functions in SmartPCFixer. Like dll downloading, windows updating and print spooler error repair.
Related: Black hole Gap in Task Bar Windows 8 1 Pro asus drivers Getting Error code 0x80070015 when doing backup in Windows 7 asus mainboard driver download Metro Apps Still Not Lauching After April 8 Windows 8 1 Update asus motherboard drivers Silverlight Updates causing Windows 7 32bit system to hang at desktop asus support Starting in Oct 2012 My computer started shuting down at radom times I sometimes get a error box saying Microsoft Windows is not responding asus com System Restore vs Windows Backup asus drivers Windows Unexpected Shutdowns Need Help asus support Steps to One-Click Download and Update Asus Touchpad Drivers on Your Computer,Icon Deleted Nd Required,Computer After Infected By Fake Antivirus,Resource (web Proxy) Is Online But Isn't Responding To Connection Attempts,Using Drop.down Box In Word,Win 7 X64 32gb SDHC ReadyBoost Issue
Read More: [Solved] SuperFetch causing high CPU usage (Windows 8),Y axis help,[Anwsered] libraries and application data missing,Solution to Problem: What does total available graphics memory mean ?,Troubleshooter of Error: ClearType in Word 2007?,Application Does Not Start in Windows 7,NTLDR is Missing. Press CTR + ALT + DEL to restart?,Apps keep crashing every time I click on the tile, what's wrong?,Why is windows experience index for graphics score is less than gaming graphics score?,MSE keeps detecting and quarantining trojan js/medfos.b, how to remove it permanently?